Saturday, July 9, 2011

Writers Groups

There's many different kinds of writers groups all dedicated to helping the novice writer.  Some meet monthly and have speakers.  If I'm looking for information, I prefer books.  I'm not totally anti-social.  I like people, just in small doses. However, after being in business for so many years, forced to sit through endless meetings and attend boring seminars, I tend to avoid that type of meeting.  Still looking for input on my writing, I found a critique group where I could bring a chapter and get feedback.  It amazed me how many people were writing books, most of them really good. Again after enduring the politics of the business world, I was stunned at the lack of professional jealousy.  Granted most of us weren't professional writers, but still. Instead of being insulting or even discouraging, the critiques were kind and constructive.  They pointed out grammatical errors as well as holes in the plot.

The one thing I had to learn was, while I respected each person's point of view, ultimately it was my creation and I had to be satisfied with the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment