Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Writer's Block

I haven't written in weeks or maybe it's months now. Why? Mainly because I've written myself into a corner. Then a week ago I received a bad a review. I know everyone receives them. Not everyone has the same taste in literature. I often hate books that other people rave about. For instance I won't read The Hunger Games. I tried. I made it through the first chapter. It was just too depressing and I didn't really care what happened to the character. Some books start slowly so I asked others who liked it. They informed me that although the books remain depressing through the entire series and there's never really a happy ending, that I'd still love it. That cinched it for me. I don't need depressing and I absolutely refuse to read anything without a happy ending.

So I don't expect everyone to love my books. Still, it's really hard on the ego and it just added cement to my writer's block. Several times lately, I've pulled up my work in progress, reread what I've written and stared at the place where I ended, with no idea where to go from there. It's not that I don't know what happens next. It's that I don't know how to get there. This is the third in a series of murder mysteries featuring Valerie Peterson and Detective Delgado and written from Valerie's perspective. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how Valerie can find out the information she needs to solve this particular murder. I have several options: (1) Change the POV which means rewriting the last thirteen chapters (2) Write the next chapters from Delgado's point of view or (3) Scrap this plot and start over. It might be fun to hear what Delgado thinks, so that's the one I'm considering.

But now it's dinner time, so I have another excuse to wait until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment